Sullen v.5

             

      

 
furthermore

Monday, February 16, 2009

People should listen to Suze Orman more. Right now I'm watching her 'needs' vs 'wants' session on tv and although her style of talking bugs me a bit (the way she emphasizes things so much), she thinks like I think and I like that. She's kinda boring for me to watch because she's talking about things I already know, but the most interesting part of the show are the questions people ask... it just boggles me that these people actually have questions about these things and have to call a television show to get Suze Orman's advice. I know I sound really self-righteous about all of this, but really, I just don't get it. I guess I'm just really blessed to have been educated (educate myself, really) about these sort of things? I get perturbed when people don't take the time to educate themselves about their finances because it's essentially critical to their livelihood. There aren't any free rides in this world and everybody has to look out for themselves. I also get perturbed by people who live beyond their means because more-often-than-not it's due to their lack of self-control and also their need to impress the world. Don't try to own a nice car if you can't afford that car. Don't try to own a house that isn't economical to what you bring in on a monthly basis (factoring in how stable that job is, what other 'needs' must be taken care of in the month, and how much you can still set aside). Don't use credit cards to make purchases beyond what you can pay back easily in a few payments. Don't take on any debt that you don't have a solid plan, determination, and focus to pay down. Make sacrifices on the things you 'want' to payoff your debts first. Don't open up any new account without having a plan to monitor that account closely. Watch your debit / credit card transactions on the bank statements (I've caught many bad-charges which has absolutely saved me hundreds of dollars up to this point in my life). Keep all of your receipts until you have seen the transaction done properly on your bank statement and are sure you needed that item instead of wanted (unless, of course, you have extra money and can afford your wants). I also don't understand, back when jobs weren't hard to comeby, how someone can choose to not have a job for months on end because they have too much pride to take something temporary (maybe not the coolest / fancy job in the world) while looking for something more longterm. Every day you're not working you're losing money (unless you're living with your parents and mooching). My philosophy when out of a steady job was that I had to at least be *breaking even* with my expenses. My wants were only justified by how much I was willing to work (or find an extra job) to afford those wants. Don't buy things that aren't worth their value in realistic terms (these items include cars and fancy purses / shoes). Do spend money on quality things that are going to save money in the longterm (meaning if you have to buy a car, look for ones that are known to be reliable.. unless, again, you can afford to want a car that's less reliable).

Point being: LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS.

People are too busy trying to impress other people, mostly, which is the biggest reason they get into trouble. That's my opinion at least. I think it's the craziest thing. I do sympathize with people who get into medical trouble because that is something that just really cannot be predicted and is horrible fortune when it happens ... and as I've discovered, battling insurance companies (which I've had my fair share of battles.. both successful and unsuccessful) is not fun. They'll do anything to screw you over and give the minimum amount if they can get away with it. A friend of mine once told me that he worked for insurance companies as an analyst, and they actually have a mathematical calculation to determine who will and won't challenge their charges... it's really sad how much people have to be in control of their finances or else get screwed without even knowing it because they just pay without understanding. Same thing with the IRS...they tried to screw me over big-time last year, fortunately I challenged them and didn't owe a dime afterall. It was really scary what they were accusing me of and I had to take *a lot* of time (sitting on the other side of a phone being told I'm 20th in line) to standup to the system and prove I was in the right. Fortunately, again, due to paperwork I had saved from yearrssss back, I was able to prove my 'innocence'. :P It's amazing what can come back to haunt you if you're not careful about what you save and file. Organization is key too.

Rant over. :)

Lin  

  

 

 




 I-Like:
SunAngel
Jason
Sarah
Phil