Sullen v.5

             

      

 
Logic

Thursday, April 20, 2006

It's around this time that I wish I did believe in logic, because then maybe I'd have some answers. Hard-earned degrees would equal amazing jobs, and excess free-time would mean spending time with those who have equally excess free-time and demand your friendship. No, this world isn't logical. Perhaps there are natural processes in the world that can be explained via logic, but throw human beings into the mix and it becomes something entirely different. I don't want to say that it's irrational, but it's definitely not logical. This is what makes the study of human beings, and their interactions, fascinating. It's funny that this should try to be deemed as some sort of "science" because then that suggests that there is some logic behind it, when really there isn't. Logic suggests that an absolute truth can be arrived at, and when assessing the complexity of human beings.. especially the emotion-factor.. I honestly don't think it's possible. I'd be curious to hear a counterargument. I've just been thinking.. a lot about a statement I made about not believing in logic... I've been wondering if I really think that, and the more I think about it, the more I think that I do. It was a flippant comment at the time, but one that I think I've subconsciously been conjuring for a long time. Maybe this belief has developed after taking formal methods. Maybe I simply hate logic because formal methods was torture. Basically I don't like the idea that statements can be assessed using an equation to arrive at some sort of truth. It's too black and white. . i.e. shortsighted. If I lived in a world of logic I would not have pursued .. or done... half of what I have in life. I'm not sure I would fall for the people that I do. And sometimes not believing in logic can get me in trouble, but most of the time I think it's simply opening up my life to interesting and real possibilities. I live more in a world of dreams, perhaps, but I'm starting to wonder about that lately too...

Lin  

  

 

 




 I-Like:
SunAngel
Jason
Sarah
Phil